Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Pride, Prejudice and Persuasion: Obstacles to Happiness in Jane Austen's Novels

I'd rather be reading Jane Austen  Keychain
Available at Totally_Jane_Austen


It is a truth --universally acknowledged  or not --that the traits of pride and prejudice are what threaten the happiness of Jane Austen's hero and heroine in the novel that names those traits in the title. It also appears pretty obvious that the Lady Russell's persuasion is what prompted Anne Elliot to break her own heart, as well as that of Frederick Wentworth. Pride is also to blame in the story of Persuasion, though.

Ostensibly it is the dreaded Elliot pride that is to blame. After all, Lady Russell's influence over Anne's decision stems from the status of the Elliot family. Certainly, we see several examples of the Elliot pride on display in the snobbishness of Anne's father and both her sisters.  Anne admits to having a form of pride, as well, though it is one that feels embarrassment for her family for falling all over Lady Dalrymple and her daughter, relatives who had ignored them for years to an apparent snub going back to the time before Anne's mother's death.

Relative risk for social aspirations

In chapter 16, Anne reflects on her disappointment in her father and eldest sister: "She had hoped better things from their high ideas of their own situation in life, and was reduced to form a wish which she had never foreseen; a wish that they had more pride; for 'our cousins Lady Dalrymple and Miss Carteret;' 'our cousins, the Dalrymples,' sounded in her ears all day long."

This is the idea of proper pride, of knowing one's essential worth well enough not to seek out reflected glory in others who bear a higher rank in society. The Elliot's fawning over their aristocratic relatives are no better than Mr. Collins who insists on referring to  his patroness, Lady Catherine de Bourgh, into every conversation.


Lingering resentment

While the Elliot pride is what accounted for the initial division between Anne and  Frederick Wentworth, it is the captain's pride that maintains it. He observes that point near the end of the book.  In chapter 23, Anne argues that she was not to blame in following the guidance of trusted friend and that she hopes that  resentment against Lady Russell will not linger.

Wentworth responds with some reflection that leads to self-recrimination:

"Not yet. But there are hopes of her being forgiven in time. I trust to being in charity with her soon. But I too have been thinking over the past, and a question has suggested itself, whether there may not have been one person more my enemy even than that lady? My own self. Tell me if, when I returned to England in the year eight, with a few thousand pounds, and was posted into the Laconia, if I had then written to you, would you have answered my letter? Would you, in short, have renewed the engagement then?"

"Would I!" was all her answer; but the accent was decisive enough.

"Good God!" he cried, "you would! It is not that I did not think of it, or desire it, as what could alone crown all my other success; but I was proud, too proud to ask again. I did not understand you. I shut my eyes, and would not understand you, or do you justice. This is a recollection which ought to make me forgive every one sooner than myself. Six years of separation and suffering might have been spared. It is a sort of pain, too, which is new to me. I have been used to the gratification of believing myself to earn every blessing that I enjoyed. I have valued myself on honourable toils and just rewards. Like other great men under reverses," he added, with a smile. "I must endeavour to subdue my mind to my fortune. I must learn to brook being happier than I deserve."

 Here Jane Austen makes it clear that she exonerates Anne completely and has Wentworth recognize that he is more to blame than she is. Had he reached out to her after only two years of separation, they could have been reconciled and settled six years earlier than they are. Thus pride proves to be an even greater obstacle to happiness than the persuasion that Anne learned to shake off once she got out of her teens.

The role of Helpful antagonists

The pride of not subjecting oneself to a second rejection could have kept them apart forever if not for the involvement of another person, however unwittingly. Like Darcy, Wentworth waits for a signal from his beloved to renew his proposal -- what gives each man hope that he will be accepted this round. In Darcy's case it was Elizabeth's refusal to promise not to accept Darcy when pushed to do so by Lady Catherine. 

This was such an important factor in his deciding to go ahead that the 1940 film version of the book presented Lady Catherine as in on the plot to sound out Elizabeth's feelings. Of course, that is a blatant deviation from the book, though the film aimed to be even more "light, and bright, and sparkling" and redeem even Lady Catherine. 

For Wentworth, the deciding factor was hearing Anne declare that women are more constant than men in love (in general) in talking about Captain Benwick with Captain Harville when he complains about having to get his miniature -- that had been intended for his sister --set for Louisa instead.  It is hearing Anne's view that motivates Wentworth to propose again, though this time via letter to spare himself any direct answer that may be a rejection.  

The power of the pen

We may as well look at the whole letter, as the opening line is among the most romantic declarations to be found in English literature. It appears in Chapter 23.

Persuasion line on Jane Austen portrait 
by Totally_Jane_Austen
"I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice, indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating, in F. W.

"I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look, will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening or never."

Wentworth and Darcy  get their second chance at love because they are willing to overcome the inclination to resent the refusal forever. This is very rare in real life. As a matchmaker, I see men all the time reject suggestion out of hands simply because the woman in question had said no to a date with them in the past. They don't allow for people to have changed and being open to things they would not have considered in the past and would rather have the loss than risk a second rejection. 

Jane AustenMug Coffee Mug
Jane Austen mug

 Related:

Jane Austen at the Morgan
Three Janes, Two Governesses,
Observations on Jane Austen's Emma
Jane Austen and Autism












No comments:

Post a Comment